11 Favorites of 2011
Below is a list of 11 things I’ve come to learn, love, or experience in 2011:
1. Homemade gifts – (specifically a journal made by Toni and a blanket made by my mom)
2. Sleeping At Last’s Yearbook Project – It was so amazing getting 3 new songs every month for almost a year and journeying with them every month.
3. College Visits – I was blessed to be able to go back and visit Lancaster Bible College multiple times this year, and during those times God blessed me with such awesome experiences. From breakfast with my old dorm mates, to jam sessions in chapel, to late night conversations, to graduation parties it was amazing to find community again with people I love spending time with.
4. Teaching College Classes – This past year I was ask to teach a college class twice. The experience in itself was amazing! I loved every second of it, and am discovering that I’d love to be a youth ministry professor one day. There is just something amazing about teaching students whose life passion is to lead high schoolers closer to Christ.
5. Instrumental Music – I’ve discovered a new love for instrumental music. Bands such as All the Bright Lights, Explosions in the Sky, The Album Leaf, Ember Days, The Sleep Design, and You Can’t Explain Logic (who I just discovered today) have been a great inspiration to me this year. At night I will turn off all the lights in my room, turn on my desk lamp, and listen to them as I write – it is such a beautiful process of discovery!
6. Cinematic Art – After watching ‘The Tree of Life’, ‘The Illusionist’, and ‘Hugo’ this year a huge door has open within me to discover more movies that exist not as movies, but as art. I’ve discovered how much I love a good story, and how I love it when its told well and artistically through the medium of cinema.
7. Adventures – This year has also awakened in me a new yearning for adventure. Whether that is simply going on a hike, making new friends, visiting the zoo, traveling 6 hours for a wedding, kayaking through a swamp, or embarking on a real road trip (which I am going on for the first time next week) I’m bursting with a desire to cultivate new and unique adventures that I’ve never experienced before.
8. Art as Worship – If there is one thing that 2011 has taught me is that my creative process is an act of worship. My art is a form of expressing glory and honor to my Creator, Lord and Savior! In all I do I want to tell a story that inspires through an art form that points to Christ above and beyond all things.
9. Friendships – With 2011 have come some new and amazing friendships that I will not let go of, ever. God has blessed me with a depth of friendships that I haven’t had in such a long time. These friends from home and from college have made – and are making – such a huge impact on me, and I will always cherish what was and is being made.
10. Pen Pals – This year I have acquired 4 new pen pals one from South Africa; Phoenixville, PA; Portland, OR; and North Augusta, SC. There is nothing, by far, more exciting then receiving a letter in the mail.
11. Life – I am amazed at the intricacies of life more than ever. I see it all fall before my eyes and I find myself frozen before it. I do not want to miss a second of the life that is before me.